Friday, October 03, 2008

The Power of Anger

The Man has been having a bit of trouble with his truck and its brakes. A bit of trouble meaning that they've been acting wonky enough that he's been wary of driving it. That's bad news for someone who has to drive to Bowling Green Fireland's campus four night a week!

So today, being his school day off, he took his ailing vehicle in for a look over. The news wasn't good. It needed all new brakes, from soup to nuts and it was going to be a very pretty penny. The Man kept his cool with the condescending mechanic on the phone while he was given the grim news. But as he related the whole ordeal to me later, I could see he was fuming on the inside and suspicious that he was being ripped off.

But it was done and he needed a lift to the shop to pick up the truck. As he walked across the parking lot, I got an evil idea. I jump out of the van and started shouting at his back,

"Hey! Watch your temper in there! Don't go beating everybody up in there like last time! I won't bail you out if you get arrested again! I mean it! You better not punch anyone! It's not their fault!"

He never turned around or even quickened his steps. His only move was to slouch down further in his jacket the more I yelled. But the guy across the parking lot? He reacted. He stood there with his mouth hanging open staring at me and then The Man.

The bays to the garage were open right beside my tirade and I'm certain everyone heard my performance. After The Man was safely in the door, I jumped back in the van, slamming the door extra hard and peeled out. As I drove past the gaping mouth guy, I put on my angry school teacher face and shook my fist at the building. And yeah, the kids were in the van too. They thought the whole thing was hysterical.

Inside no one acted like anything happened. Perhaps screaming women in the parking lot are a common occurrence at the garage. The only strange thing that happened was that by some warehouse mistake, the bill for the repairs was $250 less than was quoted. Coincidence? Oh, I think not.

3 comments:

chipper said...

YOU ARE MY HERO!!! That is the most amazing car pick up story EVER!! Wish you had dropped my off for at least one of the four trips with the van.

Nance said...

Holy crap. I'm guessing that the kids did NOT give it away by laughing hysterically and grinning during the performance.

Genius. Sheer genius. Kudos, my dear.

J. said...

Weaver: The Man does not believe that the show resulted in the discount. But, he's a party pooper!

Nance: The kids said they tried to appear traumatized during the outrage. What a team!