Monday, September 11, 2006

The Reality of my TV

Here's the thing: We don't watch a lot of television. We just don't. This makes us slight social outcasts. When you're in a group of people, they tend to talk about the shows that everyone is watching. We just sit there looking dumb, I guess. It's really bad when I go to get my hair color done. The girls who do hair only know how to make TV chit chat and if you don't watch, you've got nothing to talk about with them. It ends up being a long couple of hours.

But it's not like we don't watch any TV. We've got shows we like. We watch most all of the series on HBO, Deadwood being our all-time favorite. Right now The Wire is on, which E likes but I can take or leave. They killed off my favorite character in last year's season finale, so I'm not feeling attached right now. E is watching the World Series of Poker right now. The kids watch the same stupid shows on Nick over and over again. That annoys the hell out of me. Not the shows themselves, but the fact that I known they've seen them all hundreds of times. How can they stand that? To counter balance it, we've also got the kids hooked on Star Trek Next Generation. No one is cooler than Jean Luc Picard! And did any one else watch Who Wants to be a Superhero? on the SciFi Channel? That was a fun show! And I guess I should mention that I am hooked on Project Runway this year. This the first year I've watched it and I came in about a month ago with the show where they were remaking the style of an icon. I don't even know how it happened. Why was the channel on Bravo anyway? It's a mystery, but I'm in deep. I've been able to catch up on the episodes I've missed for the most part and I'm on pins and needles waiting for this week's show.

But my whole reason for this blog was because I'm seriously considering watching the new Survivor that's starting this week. I have never watched the show, but this new premise has really got my interest. Dividing teams by race? You have got to be kidding me! It's got bad idea written all over it. Society as a whole could be damaged! I'm not the kind to slow down to rubberneck an accident and I can't stand daytime talkshows, so why do I want to watch this? Maybe there's subliminal messages in the ads....

2 comments:

Brewer said...

We're getting the kids hooked on Next Generation, too. Brewer loves it when #3 snuggles on the chair with him to watch :)

Man Who Knows Everything said...

Who Wants To Be a Superhero? will eventually spawn a new religion, with Stan the Man as the GHP (Grand High Poobah). The show I fewel guiltiest for watching? It's got to be wrestling; I don't like it (I swear!) and I can feel brain cells literally falling out of my head, but I still find myself flipping the channel that direction....