Monday, January 04, 2010

Holiday Bags a la Duct Tape

To make up for my utter lack of imagination in gift giving (gift cards to everyone), the kids and I created small duct tape bags to put the gift cards in.

Working with duct tape can be a real hassle at times. Working on a tiny scale doesn't make it any easier, but the end result was mighty adorable.




This is a full sized bag. It's a wine tote I made for sweet Mindi. I wanted to play with texture in this bag. I went though almost a whole roll of chrome tape to make all of the braids. The effect wasn't exactly what I imagined. The Man called this the heavy metal bag. I was hoping for something more like bling. Maybe if I hadn't based it in black...

But the last bag we made was the best. This full sized tote made for The Sister took all three of us a good long time to negotiate. It ended up having no visible seam which I particularly proud of.
Here's the other side. I think it came out so neat.
There were a few colors that we didn't use on this bag because they were too distracting from the whole. It's amazing but true.

"Post more blogs" was not one of my New Year's resolutions, but I will try to get in more than two a month. Happy New Year!

1 comment:

Nance said...

Oooh! I love the Mondrian bag! You are so creative. If I worked that hard and it came out that well, I'd never be able to give it away. Nice work.